Friday, November 21, 2008

Achaval-Ferrer Altamira 2006 a 98 pointer?


Rumor are flying that the Achaval-Ferrer Finca Altamira Malbec 2006 could get a 98 rating from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate.
Achaval-Ferrer is without a doubt Mendoza's best boutique winery, and they have ample distribution in the USA. The wine is pricey but you can get it for $75-$80 in good stores like this one. They don't have yet, and I already asked for two bottles. These are real "terroir" wines, wines that you can actually start enjoying at least 3 years after the original release date. Don't ever think of corking these wines before that. I made that costly mistake twice.

This is what I wrote in the Wine Spectator blog about their 2000 Quimera, a wine that I opened just three months ago:
"Wow!. I just opened a bottle this past weekend (04/2008) with short ribs, flank steak cooked over charcoal. I can't believe that James M. missed the mark so much with this wine. It was delicious! People at the party were asking me where they could get this little gem. The wine was elegant, compact with delicious satin like tannins, alongside milk chocolate. This wine could last another 6 years easy! I still have three more bottles. "


And Wine Spectator said:

Editor's Note: Smells like a raspberry and Port reduction, with concentrated aromas and gutsy black fruit flavors. There's a lot here, but it's a bit compact in the end, and lacks the definition of the best reds from this region. Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Drink now through 2002.


Obviously I didn't agree.


No comments: