Monday, January 11, 2010

Mexican Food Meets Argentine Wines


What a great post to start the new year. Happy 2010 to all Malbec lovers. Salud!
A wine shop here in Los Angeles just held a wine tasting with argentinean malbecs and mexican food. An odd pairing indeed. I love mexican cuisine, specially fish tacos (a Southern California creation I think), but I have always went for a Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. The last time I've been to Jaime Martin del Campo & Ramiro Arvizu's "La Casita Mexicana" I had dinner with a Catena Chardonnay 2006 and everything went according to plan. But now I think it's time for some experimentation, specially after this:
"...Really spicy salsas kill the taste of a good wine, I noticed, but tacos, burritos and quesadillas work as well as bread and cheese, as long as they are salsa-free..."
Link here.
And they were serving Catena's malbecs which are not what you call "light bodied wines".
On the same note, I really like what Mexico is doing with Nebbiolos and Tempranillos. But somehow I wasn't thinking of having them with mexican cuisine. Next time I'll try.

1 comment:

Ikal 1150 Wines of Argentina said...

Thank you for the note!

Malbec, though softer than Cabernet Sauvignon, tends to fan the flames!

The tannins in red wine combine with spicy foods, ruining the experience for both the food and wine. Spicy Thai food, for example, will usually be paired with Reisling or Gewurtz, or other sweet white.

That said, always drink and eat what you want!